Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Week Tres!


Week three has been awesome!!!! We continued teaching in the classroom and woooot has it ever been fun!! Had you told me a few weeks ago when I was back in my bed in Winnipeg that I would be waking up at 5:00am to go to school, I probably would say that that would not be at all possible and reconsider the trip all together ;). But now that I am here, I am absolutely loving being in the schools, and waking up this early is not a chore, it is a treat. Each morning I wake up before my alarm is off, excited for the day ahead. And I think this indicates that I am doing something that I really love, because I must say, I am not a morning person, and usually try and sleep every extra minute (and second!) possible. At school this week, we taught the students how to ask and say different questions using who, what, where, when, and why; while also teaching about Canadian culture and holidays (including Louis Riel Day!). One of our students even brings Madi and I chocolate every class (so yummy) and Clara often buys us cookies. Needless to say, this experience is sweet, and touching, not only from the special treats we get everyday, but also from interacting and building relationships with the students, who we are learning so much from. We are so lucky to be here, and are touched by everyone's generosity and kind spirits. There are a lot of students who have retired from school which worries us, and makes us want to learn more and somehow help these numbers decline and diminish. As we investigate this topic we gain insight of the different challenges facing Ecuadorian youth and the education system. I never imagined to learn so much on this journey, and the more I learn and discover, the more I want to continue to learn and discover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment