Sunday, May 17, 2015

Active living/ transportation in Quito!

A bit of active living/ transportation in Quito!

I always get really excited when I see parks in urban areas or see people being active! In the short time I've been in Quito I've noticed several differences in this city's approach for active living/ transportation compared to Winnipeg. Although the year round generally hot weather is an advantage, Quito is definitely winning the active living card I'm my mind.

The use of bikes to get place to place in the city is free!  Grab a bike, get to where you're going and drop it off at the nearest bike rack. It's a great way to promote sustainable transportation, something Winnipeg lacks (don't get me started).

The new highways have very nice and roomy bike lanes. It would definitely suck biking up a mountain but I love that the possibility is there for those who wish to cycle safely on these highways. I don't know why highways in MB don't have them.. Highway 59 going south is still relatively new in my mind why didn't anyone consider legitimate bike lanes?!

Carolina Park in Quito reminds me of Assiniboine Park in Winnipeg. A really cool feature in the park includes what looks like a motor cross track, except for bicycles. I watched several kids enjoying the track and it's good exercise! I definitely think this is something that could be added to a park in Winnipeg. It would definitely attract users and is safer then a skate park. Less injuries and more active kids!

The park does have an area for skateboarders that is relatively nice. The perimeter of park also has a very nice paved trail for runners. On the weekends there have been cultural activities, which is always good for the community members to gather.

Yay for active living! More to come!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment