Sunday, May 10, 2015

Week Uno!

Hi everyone!

Our first week in Ecuador has been quite something! While our trip was slightly delayed due to a missed flight, Ecuador has proven to be more than worth the wait! Hollette and I are roomies staying with a beautiful family and a wonderful 'house mama' Aieda. As we were dropped off late at night when we first arrived, Aieda was waiting for Hollette and I on the sidewalk outside of her house, making us immediately feel so welcomed and loved. Ever since our this initial experience of generosity and compassion, Ecuador continues to show us that it is a beautiful country filled with even more beautiful people.

Our first week in Quito definitely brought some surprises. While I was not expecting it to be this cold and rainy, downtown Quito is very developed - even more developed and advanced than Winnipeg - which is something that I was not expecting. The landscape of Quito is deceiving, as it does not appear as a developing country. However, throughout the week, as we traveled throughout the city and to the Otavalo market, insight of the poverty and challenges endured by the Ecuadorian people were revealed.  We saw artisans at work firsthand, and the amazing pride that they take to their work, and their commitment to their culture. We met with the union leader of the workers with stalls at the Otavalo market who explained that as children in Ecuador are becoming increasingly educated, they leave these traditional types of work for other opportunities. It was really interesting to watch this kind of work being done, as well as to see the countless stalls at the Otavalo market. Hollette and I even lost water for a few days at the house, but it really was not as bad as I would have expected.

As I write this post, Aieda's two year old granddaughter sits beside me waving her Canadian flag and pressing buttons on my computer, as Latin music plays loudly in the background. My journey to Ecuador has so far been a beautiful experience, and I am so excited to see and learn more about this country, its culture, and its people.

Chao for now,
Alana



































\

No comments:

Post a Comment