Sunday, May 10, 2015

Week one !

Week one has been a very intresting experience. we finally arrived in Quito late Sunday night after our adventure in Toronto. Monday morning we woke up to have breakfast and got to meet one of our roommates Phillip who is from Germany. For the rest of the week we went to spanish lessons every morning and then had activites planned for the afternoon. Such as visiting the Panecillo statue, the Archeological Museum,  salsa lesson and a presentation from the Canadian Embassy. We were kept very busy this first week. we also went to our first Ecuadorian bar to watch a soccer game. All the places we have gone to have had such warm and welcoming people. Making our experience in Ecuador that much more enjoyable.

The home that we have been placed in is so warm and welcoming and today we got to experience mothers day here. It is considered a very big deal and we experienced when we went to buy flowers and a cake for Sandra. Many people are out buying flowers, cakes or gifts for the mothers in their lives.  But I did find that the streets were not as busy as they normally are throughout the week.

Things I did not expect when I came on this trip was to was that my food was plated for me/ i did not serve myself. To me this was very hard to adjust to this week because I can not finish my plate and I am used to the independence of being at home. I also  did not expect the highways to be so well developed. They are smooth and finished better than Winnipeg's roads. Thirdly I expected the weather to be alot warmer than it was at the start of the week. Coming on this trip I expected it to be very warm I wish I had brough some more sweaters and longer pants. That is not to say that it is always cold the last few days have been very warm and as long as you are always in the view of the sun you will feel warm.

I am excited to see what the next week has in store and how the school system operates. I look forward  to what Ecuador had to offer and can wait to keep exploring.


Madi

No comments:

Post a Comment